Community Voices Interpretation Services
Community Voice Interpretation Services is a program of VNS of Iowa, specializing in interpretation and translation services. Our interpreters speak more than 20 languages and dialects, including Spanish, Burmese, Chin, Karen, Somali and Arabic. Our interpreters serve as a gateway for non-English speaking clients, helping them access available services and resources. They help Iowa's refugee and immigrant population survive and thrive.
Helping Organizations & Businesses
Community Voices can help your organization or business improve client satisfaction, workflow efficiencies and billing opportunities as you work with clients who have communication barriers. Our carefully recruited interpreters have intimate, first-hand knowledge of not only the cultures within communities but also the struggles and challenges families face when resettling in the U.S.
- are native speakers with in-depth language and cultural knowledge
- have a solid understanding in how to access community health and human service programs
- are immersed in their community and are able to help your clients - from newly arrived families to those who are well on their way to an independent lifestyle
- are empathetic and compassionate, desiring the best outcomes for each client
Training, development and management are the cornerstones of Community Voices. All interpreters:
- Complete fundamentals of healthcare interpreting training
- Attend ongoing trainings on health care and human services initiatives provided to VNS of Iowa employees
- Report regularly to their team leader, meeting one-on-one monthly to discuss clients and goals
- Are frequently shadowed by their leader on location to ensure quality and consistency in service
Community Voices offers a two-day interpreter training. The training will cover the basics of interpreting, confidentiality, professionalism and time/calendar management. Upon successful completion of the training, a Certificate of Attendance will be given to all participants. Training is conducted by Yvette Burton.
Yvette Burton graduated with honors from Upper Iowa University with a Bachelor's degree in Human Services. Yvette has worked as a Spanish-language interpreter and translator in Central Iowa for more than 13 years across a number of settings, including health care, education, and business.
She is the owner of Burton Translation and Education Services, LLC since 2009, a company that provides translation, interpretation, and training services to organizations. She frequently consults with organizations on best practices for working with interpreters, caring for patients from different cultures, and gaining intercultural knowledge. Central to Yvette's philosophy is facilitating new interpreters opportunities to develop their skills and competence, and be a valuable resource to organizations on how to provide more culturally sensitive care to those they serve.
- April 11-12
- June 20-21
- August 15-16
For more information on our services, please call Community Voices at (515) 557-9008 or email email@example.com.