Healthy Start and Empowerment Family Support Projects
The VNS of Iowa Healthy Start and Empowerment Family Support Projects offer free and confidential services to families in Polk County who are pregnant or have a young child. To learn if you or someone you know could benefit, please call (515) 558-9946.
We provide visits to pregnant and parenting women that would like extra support to ensure a healthy child and family as well as their own health. Whether you are pregnant or parenting a child under the age of 6, VNS of Iowa Healthy Start Program provides free personalized one-on-one education and health screenings for pregnant and postpartum women in Polk County.
Quality prenatal care guidenace through the Healthy Start Program will help to ensure your baby will be as healthy as possible.
Ongoing parent education and child development support helps to guide your child on the path to enter school ready to learn.
- Individualized prenatal and postpartum health education
- Child developmental screening and education
- Depression screening and referral
- Access to community resources
- Nutrition counseling
- Family planning counseling
- Infant care and safety education
- Breastfeeding support and education
- Help choosing medical coverage and a doctor
- Links to community resources
- Opportunities to attend program groups including parent/child and consumer leadership opportunities
Interpretation and transportation services are available upon request.
We also offer services for:
- Pregnant teens
- First-time pregnant moms
- Women who are pregnant with health concerns
- Families who have children who are 6 years of age and younger
We can help you:
- With your child’s development
- Have a healthy pregnancy
- With parenting
- Access community resources
Bilingual case managers and interpreters are available. Referrals can be made by an individual, physician, social worker, family member or friend.